Medicines Australia represents the discovery-driven pharmaceutical industry in Australia. Our member companies invent, manufacture and supply innovative medicines and vaccines to the Australian community. Those medicines keep Australians out of hospitals, prevent disease and play a pivotal role in ensuring a productive and healthy community.
Medicines Australia represents the innovative medicines industry by:
- engaging with government and government departments, the Australian Medicines Industry, consumer groups and health professionals to develop health and industry policy
- building and maintaining relationships with government for fair reimbursement of medicines (through the Pharmaceuticals Benefits Scheme) to ensure the continuation of a viable medicines industry
- administering the Medicines Australia Code of Conduct which sets the standard for the ethical marketing and promotion of prescription medicines
- working with other health professional and consumer organisations on issues of mutual concern
- providing specialist advice to member companies
- educating the community about industry activities.
On this page
A longer and healthier life for Australians through availability and choice of world leading innovative medicines.
In partnership with key stakeholders, drive the creation and development of a predictable environment for the continued, sustainable growth of the innovative and research based prescription medicines industry so Australians continue to lead longer and healthier lives.
Key Result Areas
Leadership – Lead and maintain industry consensus and unity to contribute to medicines policy development for the benefit of all Australians.
Policy – Policy development and collaboration to stimulate R&D, protect intellectual property, achieve optimal regulation, enhance access & reimbursement outcomes, and ensure long term funding sustainability.
Advocacy – Engage with key stakeholders to ensure an effective operating environment.
- To be an industry role model and build unity and strength.
- To achieve a predictable and positive environment for the registration and reimbursement of medicines in Australia.
- The Australian Government to actively create a favourable environment for investment by the Pharmaceutical Industry.
- Strengthen the reputation of the industry.
Medicines Australia’s Code of Conduct for advertising and promotion of prescription medicines has been internationally recognised for its effectiveness in regulating these activities.
Adherence to the Code of Conduct is a requirement of membership of Medicines Australia.
The Code of Conduct Committee, with medical, legal and consumer representatives, has the power to direct withdrawal of advertising, require letters of clarification and impose company fines for breaches of the Code.
The Medicines Australia Special Purpose Fund has been established, with funds derived from the surplus of fine income (minus the administrative costs of running the Code of Conduct).
Members of Medicines Australia and the Medicines Australia secretariat remain in close contact with Members of Parliament and government departments to monitor activities and promote policy options to ensure the continuation of a viable medicines industry.
Working with consumers
The Australian medicines industry is committed to enhancing its relationship with health consumers. Medicines Australia continues to actively engage with key consumer groups to better understand their needs and issues.
The Working Together Guide and Supplementary Materials, which has been jointly developed by the peak health consumer body, the Consumers’ Health Forum of Australia and Medicines Australia, is a reference tool offering basic principles for collaboration. It includes suggestions that can be adapted to suit the individual needs of consumer organisations.
Working with health professionals
Medicines Australia regularly liaises with health professional organisations to keep up to date with developments in healthcare, and to discuss issues of mutual concern.
Education within the health field
The Continuing Education Program, administered by Medicines Australia, is a compulsory education program for all medical representatives employed in the industry in order to ensure an adequate level of medical and scientific knowledge. This helps health professionals by ensuring that their questions will be appropriately responded to by representatives.
Medicines Australia provides briefings and publications to educate the community about the industry in Australia.
In these education activities, Medicines Australia strongly supports the Government’s National Medicines Policy’s call for appropriate and rational use of medicines.
Medicines Australia as a health resource
For its member companies, the Medicines Australia secretariat provides a wide range of services, including:
- Briefing on policy initiatives and issues
- Representations to government on behalf of industry
- Representing the industry at relevant health, medical and research activities
- Providing specialist advice to member companies
- Educating the community about industry activities
Scientific and healthcare expertise
The Medicines Australia secretariat and its member companies contribute experience and expertise through participation in a wide range of activities, including membership of advisory committees and participation in health and industry policy development.