About the Code
What is the Code of Conduct?
Medicines Australia’s Code of Conduct sets the standards for the ethical marketing and promotion of prescription pharmaceutical products in Australia. It complements the legislation requirements of the Therapeutic Goods Regulations and the Therapeutic Goods Act.
Code provisions include standards for appropriate advertising, the behaviour of medical representatives and relationships with healthcare professionals. Medicines Australia’s Code of Conduct, which was established in 1960, has been revised on a regular basis. Code of Conduct Edition 18 is available here (please follow link)
To ensure that the Code continues to reflect current community and professional standards and current government legislation, an extensive review of the Code was completed in June 2014. More information about the Code of Conduct review is available here (please follow link)
Areas covered by the Code of Conduct include:
- Nature and Availability of Information and Claims – false and misleading claims, level of substantiating data
- Types of Product Information
- Promotional Material – advertisements, brand name reminders, competitions, gifts and offers
- Company Representatives – medical representatives
- Product Starter Packs
- Involvement in Educational Symposia, Congresses and Satellite Meetings – trade displays
- Relationship with the General Public
- Relationship with Healthcare Professionals – travel, hospitality, remuneration, entertainment, consultants and advisory boards
- Educational Events
- Administration of the Code – complaints process, committee membership
- Compliance Procedures
Contact Details for Questions or Complaints
If you have any questions relating to the Code of Conduct please contact Medicines Australia on (02) 6147 6500 (9.00am – 5.00pm Monday – Friday) or send an email to the Secretary Code Committee at Medicines Australia.
If you wish to lodge a complaint please contact the Secretary, Code of Conduct Committee at Medicines Australia on (02) 6147 6500 (9.00am – 5.00pm Monday – Friday) or send an email to the Secretary Code Committee at Medicines Australia.
For more information on how to lodge a complaint, please visit our How to make a complaint page.