Collaboration for Health in PNG
In 2001, a group of like minded pharmaceutical companies decided they wanted to address the HIV issue in PNG. An informal consortium was formed and the following aims were agreed:
- to engage with and learn from regional and global networks involved in HIV care
- to understand the factors – cultural, social, political and economic that affect access to treatment and care
- to encourage co-operation among the health providers – faith-based, private, non-government, academic and public
- to help develop healthcare capacities and systems
- to link prevention, de-stigmatisation and legal protection to HIV care and support.
In 2003, the Collaboration for Health in PNG (CHPNG) was formed.